4.4 Arriving

Source: eslfast.com

Ground Transportation

A: I just arrived and need help getting transportation to my hotel. OR:
– I need help figuring out how to get to my friend’s house in the city.
– I need information about my options for ground transportation.
B: There are shuttles, taxis, and buses that go all over the city. OR:
– This city has many taxis, shuttles, or buses to transport you to your destination.
– You may take a shuttle, a taxi, or a bus to get wherever you need to go.
A: Which one is the best form of transportation? OR:
– Which form of transportation is preferable?
– Is one form of transportation better than another?
B: It depends on where you want to go. If you are going to a well-known hotel, they have their own shuttles that drop you right off at the door. OR:
– It depends on where you are traveling. If your destination is close by, you might want to just grab a taxicab.
– It depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking to travel inexpensively, a bus might be your best bet.
A: Where can I catch a cab? OR:
– Where do the buses pick you up?
– Where are the shuttle pick-up points?
B: All ground transportation leaves from the island as you walk out the arrivals gate. OR:
– When you pick up your luggage, walk out of the door and you will see the transportation kiosk.
– The ground transportation center is right outside the exit leading to the street.
A: Where can I rent a car? OR:
– Is there a car rental place around here?
– Where are the car rental agencies?
B: The car rental agencies are against the wall as you exit. OR:
– You will see the car rental agencies as you walk down the hallway as you exit.
– You can find a car rental agency just outside of baggage claim.
A: Are there any subways in this town? OR:
– Is there a subway in this city?
– I heard that you have a very good light rail system in this city.
B: We have a subway system, but you need to take a shuttle to get to the station. OR:
– We have a subway station in the airport. The in-airport moving sidewalk system will take you to it.
– Our subway station is a mile outside of the airport. I would suggest you take the designated shuttle to get there.

Sightseeing

A: Where should we go sightseeing today? OR:
– It’s so hard to choose where to go first on our sightseeing trip!
– There are so many places to go on our sightseeing trip that I am having trouble narrowing it down.
B: I think that some things might be best done in the morning and others in the afternoon. OR:
– Let’s figure out what to do before lunch and later figure out what to do in the afternoon.
– We could think of what would make a good morning activity versus an evening activity.
A: I think that I would like to go to the beach this morning. OR:
– I really wanted to make sure that I got a chance to go to the local beach.
– I heard that the local beach is a place that can’t be missed.
B: That would be a good place to start our sightseeing. We could have breakfast there. OR:
– That would be a relaxing way to begin our morning. It would be good to get out in the sun.
– I think that that would be a fun beginning to our day. We could walk around there.
A: I hear that there is a very nice natural history museum there. OR:
– I heard that the Natural History Museum is pretty close to the beach.
– The Natural History Museum is close by, isn’t it?
B: Yes, it would be nice to check that out since we are so close by. OR:
– That museum is supposed to be fantastic!
– I heard the same thing. We might as well go there since we are just down the street.
A: Where should we go in the afternoon? OR:
– What would be a good place to go to in the afternoon?
– Do you have any suggestions as to where we could go in the afternoon?
B: I think that I would like to go to the amusement park. It’s supposed to be quite good. OR:
– We could check out the local amusement park.
– The local amusement park is supposed to be wonderful.
A: At the end of the day, I would love to take in the sunset at the restaurant by the park. OR:
– We could eat dinner and watch the sun go down at that restaurant by the park.
– The restaurant on the edge of the park would be a great place to watch the sun go down.
B: That sounds like a great idea! Let’s go get a map. OR:
– That sounds like a perfect sightseeing day to me.
– That could really end up being a great day!

Being cautious in a big city

A: Is there anything special I need to think about as I tour this city? OR:
– This city is much larger than the one I live in, and I wonder if there is anything special that I need to keep in mind.
– Do I need to take any special safety precautions in this city?
B: You need to keep in mind that this is a very poor country. Things are a little more desperate here than you are used to. OR:
– This is a very large city with a lot of crowds to work your way through. Keep in mind that poverty makes people a little more desperate.
– Crime can happen anywhere, but it is a little worse here because of the poverty.
A: What do I need to look for? OR:
– Should I be vigilant about anything in particular?
– What should I watch out for?
B: Be particularly vigilant anytime you are in a crowded place with other tourists. Pickpockets know that tourists aren’t paying all that much attention. OR:
– You have to pay special attention at train stations, airports, and tourist sites. They are known for having a lot of pickpockets.
– The train stations, airports, and tourist sites are favorite spots for pickpockets.
A: I have seen many children on the street begging, so what do I do about them? OR:
– When I see children on the street begging, what amount should I give them?
– There are so many children begging on the street that I don’t know which ones to give money to.
B: It is best not to give money to children or other beggars on the street, as they can swarm you. You can give money to a local charity. OR:
– It is a natural instinct to want to give money to those children, but it is better to give money to one of the local charities or schools.
– I wouldn’t suggest giving money to them. Most of them are put out there by adults who then take their money.
A: Should I be concerned about what I eat or drink? OR:
– Can I eat or drink anything I want to?
– Are the local food and drink safe?
B: Do not drink any water that isn’t bottled. Avoid street vendor food. OR:
– Avoid eating food prepared by street vendors. Use only bottled water.
– Do not use tap water at all, not even to brush your teeth. Only eat fruit that has been peeled.
A: How about being out on the street at night? OR:
– Can I walk around and see the sights at night?
– How safe is it to be out at night?
B: I would take a cab to your destination at night. Don’t walk down the street alone. OR:
– You should always travel with others at night and stick to well-lit areas.
– I would be sure to travel in a group at night. Stay in well-lit areas.

Making alternate plans

A: I guess that we won’t be going rollerblading today with all this rain! OR:
– This rain sort of blows our chances of going rollerblading!
– I think that rollerblading today is kind of not happening in this rainstorm.
B: Yes, rollerblading in six inches of water would not be fun. What would you like to do instead? OR:
– We definitely need to come up with a different plan to amuse ourselves. What do you think would be fun?
– No, I don’t think that we will be able to do what we planned to do. What can we do for fun today?
A: I think that maybe we could check out the local mall, grab some lunch, and maybe see a movie. OR:
– There is a large indoor mall just down the street with an incredible ice rink we could check out.
– There is a large indoor mall hooked onto the Modern Art Museum just down the street.
B: Yes, that sounds like a relaxing way to check out the local culture and still stay dry. OR:
– That would allow us to stay dry and still get a feel for the local culture.
– We could stay inside and dry, and still get out of this hotel room for a while.
A: What else could we do in bad weather? OR:
– I am trying to think of something else that we could do in bad weather.
– I wonder what the locals do in bad weather.
B: You know, we could take a double-decker bus tour of famous haunted houses and buildings. OR:
– There is a sign for a double-decker tour of haunted houses in the lobby.
A: That would be fun, and the rain would only add to the atmosphere. OR:
– Haunted houses would be a perfect outing for a rainy day!
B: There is an old English pub next door. Maybe when we finish with the haunted house, we can duck in there for some brew. OR:
– I think we should wrap up our rainy haunted house day with some ale at the English pub down the street.
– I think that when we are done with our haunted house touring, we should pop into the English pub next door for a beer.
A: What a great idea! OR:
– I could go for that!
– I think that rainy days and pubs go together!
B: If we are lucky, maybe they’ll have some great food at the pub for supper. OR:
– Usually pubs have some pretty good cold-weather food. Maybe we can have dinner there.
– I hope that we can get some nice hot food for dinner at the pub.

Shopping for souvenirs

A: I want to look at the souvenirs over at the souvenir stand. OR:
– Let’s stop and look at the souvenirs at the souvenir stand.
– We need to stop so I can shop for some souvenirs at the souvenir stand.
B: What do you need to buy? OR:
– Do you have anything in particular that you are looking for?
– What types of souvenirs were you looking for?
A: I usually buy myself some jewelry or some clothing. OR:
– When I travel, I usually like to bring back a special necklace or clothing.
– I love to go clothes-shopping when I travel or buy a new piece of jewelry.
B: I always buy a lot of things for my family. How about you? OR:
– The kids in my family love getting souvenirs. How about the children in your family?
– I end up buying a lot of stuff for the kids in my family. Do you like to do that, too?
A: Yes, they practically swarm me when I get home! OR:
– My family loves for me to take trips so they can get the goodies I bring them.
– Everyone in my family enjoys getting treats from my travels!
B: What are some of their favorite gifts? OR:
– What do they like you to bring home?
– What types of things do they like?
A: The teenagers like me to bring them tee shirts that you can’t get anywhere else. OR:
– The little kids like little trinkets, like those little shell animals over there.
– My nieces love to get little jewelry boxes like those on the top shelf.
B: This stuff is pretty expensive, isn’t it? OR:
– Things seem to cost a lot at this stand.
– I feel like this stuff is kind of overpriced.
A: Souvenirs cost a lot for what they are, but we can shop around for better prices. OR:
– Some souvenir stands charge more than others, so it pays to shop around.
– You really need to shop around with souvenirs because they can vary a lot in price.
B: Let’s go across the street and see what they have over there. OR:
– We could walk a few more blocks away from the beach and see what the prices are like there.
– Why don’t we try checking prices a little farther away from the tourist section?

Local customs

A: This is really a fascinating city! OR:
– I have never traveled to a place that was so different from my home.
– This city is certainly very different from what I am used to at home.
B: Yes, this city is thousands of years old and has quite a history! OR:
– This is an amazing city. It is quite ancient with a diverse past!
– Yes, this city has a fascinating and diverse past. It is thousands of years old!
A: I really love this temple we are visiting. OR:
– This temple is beautiful!
– What an amazing temple!
B: As you enter the temple, please remove your shoes as the others are doing. OR:
– See how everyone is removing their shoes before entering? We need to do the same.
– Please make sure that you remove your shoes before you enter the temple.
A: It is so quiet here. OR:
– It is very quiet in here even though there are a lot of people in this area.
– The people in this room are very quiet.
B: Yes, they are showing respect to their gods. People come here to pray and meditate. OR:
– Yes, even the children are expected to be respectful and quiet here. People need quiet to meditate.
– This is an area of peace and tranquility. It is expected that people keep their voices down out of respect for those who are meditating.
A: I noticed that the women all have some sort of head covering. OR:
– The women’s scarves are quite beautiful.
– The women all seem to have beautiful scarves or veils on their heads.
B: It is a tradition that women cover their heads while in the temple. OR:
– Women in this society would not consider setting foot in a temple without their head being covered.
– Women of this faith must have their heads covered to enter the temple.
A: I noticed that all of the people were eating with their hands at dinner last night. OR:
– Last night at dinner, I noticed that everyone was using bread to eat with instead of silverware.
– I noticed at dinner last night that people in this country like to use their bread to eat with instead of silverware.
B: Yes, that is another custom that people practice here. OR:
– Yes, eating your curry or vegetables with your bread is a custom in this country.
– Yes, that bread is made of a special texture that works well for that.