4.3 On the plane

Source: eslfast.com

Talking to a flight attendant

A: Can I ask you some questions about the in-flight instructions? OR:
– I am kind of confused about the in-flight instructions and need to ask you a few questions.
– Would it be all right if I asked you a few questions about your in-flight instructions?
B: I would be happy to help you clarify anything you need help with. OR:
– I would love to help clarify any questions you might have.
– It would be my pleasure to help you with any questions you might have.
A: Could you help me find out where my nearest exit is? OR:
– Where is that card that shows my nearest exit?
– When you were talking about the nearest exit, what were you talking about?
B: There is a card in your seat pocket that shows you where your nearest exit is. Yours is two rows in front of you. OR:
– There’s a card in this seat pocket that shows you where your nearest exit is. Your nearest exit is right here.
– That card is in the seat pocket right in front of you. Your nearest exit is directly behind you.
A: Where is my oxygen mask that you were talking about? OR:
– Is my oxygen mask up here?
– What if I need an oxygen mask?
B: Your oxygen mask is above you, next to the reading light. It will drop down when you need it. OR:
– The oxygen mask is above you and will drop down if you need it.
– Your oxygen mask will drop down if we lose cabin pressure.
A: I am concerned about landing in the water. OR:
– Do we have any life jackets on this plane if we need them?
– Where are the life jackets?
B: The life jackets are under your seat. You can also use your seat cushion as a flotation device. OR:
– You will find your life jacket under your seat if you need it. Also, you have a seat cushion that can be used as a flotation device.
– Your seat cushion can be used as a flotation device and your life jacket is under the seat cushion.
A: What is the most important thing we can do to stay safe? OR:
– It seems really windy outside.
– If I want to be safe, what can I do?
B: The most important thing you can do is keep your seatbelt fastened when the captain asks you to. OR:
– Always make sure that your seatbelt is fastened when you are requested to fasten it.
– Keep your seatbelt fastened at all times. If you fall asleep, keep it fastened loosely around you in case we hit turbulence unexpectedly.

Talking to a seatmate

A: That rain is really coming down out there! OR:
– It sure is windy out there!
– I can’t believe how bad the weather is today!
B: Yes, it’s kind of crazy weather outside. OR:
– Yes, according to the weather report, we will be flying through a pretty nasty storm.
– It definitely is not the perfect day to fly, is it?
A: I get kind of nervous flying in this kind of weather. OR:
– I am scared of flying to begin with, but bad weather makes it a little worse.
– I don’t really like flying in this kind of weather.
B: I don’t think anyone feels all that comfortable flying in a storm. OR:
– It is normal to feel a little nervous about flying in bad weather.
– Anyone who actually enjoys flying in bad weather is out of their mind.
A: Do you think it will be this bad the whole trip? OR:
– Will the whole flight be this bad?
– How long do you think this will last?
B: On the weather channel, this storm looked to be a big one. It will probably be with us for a while. OR:
– Usually the pilot can get enough altitude to get above it. I hope that happens this time!
– I think that it will probably let up once we get out of here. Let’s cross our fingers!
A: I worry about too much ice on the wings. OR:
– What if we hit a flock of birds?
– What if one of the engines stops working?
B: I have to believe that our pilot knows what he is doing and we’ll be okay. OR:
– I trust that the airline wouldn’t let us take off without feeling that all was okay.
– Plane crashes are very rare. We’ll be fine.
A: When do you think the pilot will turn off the Fasten Your Seatbelt sign? OR:
– Do you think that the pilot will ever turn off the Fasten Your Seatbelt sign?
– How much longer do you think that the pilot will leave the Fasten Your Seatbelt sign on?
B: He’ll turn it off as soon as he knows that we are through the turbulence. OR:
– When we are past the turbulence, I am sure that the pilot will shut the light off.
– The pilot needs to make sure that there is no more turbulence before he lets us get up.
A: Do you think that we are going to crash? OR:
– Do you think that we are going to die?
– Do you think we are headed for an air disaster?
B: Maybe. You just never know. OR:
– Would you like a pillow and blanket so you can take a nap?
– Can I buy you an alcoholic beverage?

Ordering food and drinks

A: I was wondering if I could order something to drink. OR:
– I am getting thirsty and was wondering if I may order a drink.
– When you get a chance, could you take my drink order, please?
B: Yes, we have alcoholic beverages as well as coffee, tea, or soda. OR:
– On this flight you may have your choice of bar drinks or coffee, tea, or soft drinks.
– Yes, I would be happy to take your drink order. We have coffee, tea, or soda as well as bar drinks.
A: How much do drinks cost? OR:
– Do you charge for beverages?
– What is the price of drinks?
B: Our alcoholic beverages are five dollars each. All others are complimentary. OR:
– Our alcoholic beverages are five dollars apiece. All others are two dollars each with free refills.
– We offer nonalcoholic beverages for free. Our bar drinks are five dollars each.
A: When will our meals be served? OR:
– Are we going to get fed on this flight?
– Do we get to eat on this flight?
B: We will serve a snack with the beverages. Dinner will be served a few hours into our flight. OR:
– We always pass out a small snack with your beverage. You will be served dinner in a few hours.
– You will get a small snack served with your beverage. We will be serving dinner about halfway through the flight.
A: What are our dinner choices? OR:
– Do we have a choice of what we get for dinner?
– What are we having for dinner tonight?
B: You will have a choice of chicken, fish, or beef. I will be bringing a menu by shortly. OR:
– We are serving a chicken, fish, or beef plate. You may select whatever you choose.
– Tonight we have chicken, fish, or beef to choose from. You will get a chance to look at a menu a little before our mealtime.
A: I am a vegetarian and need a vegetarian meal. OR:
– Do you have vegetarian meals?
– Can I order a vegetarian plate?
B: Vegetarian meals need to be requested at least two days before your flight. I might be able to find you extra servings of vegetables, however. OR:
– With advance notice, we are able to accommodate a wide variety of special diet needs. Once we are in the air, unfortunately, there isn’t much we can do.
– We serve many different meals for people with religious or dietary restrictions. We do need to know about this at the time you book your flight.