4.2 Checking in at the airport

Source: eslfast.com

Dropping off at the airport

A: Can you drive me to the airport tomorrow afternoon? OR:
– If you are free, I was wondering if you could give me a ride to the airport this afternoon.
– Could you help me out with a ride to the airport this afternoon?
B: I would be happy to drive you to the airport. When do you need to leave? OR:
– I can give you a ride with no problem. What is your departure time?
– Sure, I’ll give you a ride. What time do you need to get there?
A: For an international flight, the airline wants us to check in two hours in advance, so I need to leave my house at 2:00. OR:
– I need to leave my house at 2:00 so I can get to the airport two hours before my flight.
– My flight departs at 4:00, so I need to leave my house at 1:00 to get to the airport by 2:00.
B: Do you have a lot of luggage to check in? OR:
– Are you bringing a lot of bags with you?
– How much luggage are you bringing?
A: I am only carrying one large bag and a carry-on. OR:
– I have my carry-on, a purse, and a large suitcase.
B: I’ll bring our smaller car then. Do you know where you need to get dropped off? OR:
– Your stuff should all fit in my car just fine. Do you know which terminal you are going to?
– I won’t have to drive our larger car then. Do you know where your terminal is?
A: Yes, I am flying out on Singapore Air to Sydney, so I need to be at the International Terminal. OR:
– I need to be dropped off on the second level of the International Terminal since I am flying to Sydney on Singapore Air.
– Since I am flying to Sydney on Singapore Air, I need to be dropped off on the second level of the International Terminal.
B: Will I be able to come in with you to say goodbye? OR:
– Can I go inside the airport with you and maybe we can have a drink before you leave?
– Do you want me to go in with you at the airport to help you pass the time before you leave?
A: Actually, with airport regulations being so strict, you should probably just drop me off at the curb. OR:
– I would like that, but only ticketed passengers can go into the departure area.
– They only allow ticketed passengers into the departure area, so you’ll have to drop me off at the curb.
B: That will work out fine. Just give me a call if anything changes. OR:
– I can take you wherever you need to go. Let me know if there are any changes to your travel plans.
– I’ll drop you off wherever you need to be dropped off. See you later!

Picking up at the airport

A: Would you be able to pick me up at the airport next Sunday? OR:
– I am flying in next Sunday and was wondering if you might be able to pick me up at the airport.
– Could you help me out and pick me up at the airport next Sunday?
B: Sure, I would be happy to help you. What time are you arriving? OR:
– It would be no problem to pick you up. When is your flight arriving?
– I can pick you up. What time does your flight arrive?
A: I will be arriving at 3:00 in the afternoon. OR:
– My flight arrives at 3:00 in the afternoon.
B: By the time you pick up your luggage, it will be around 3:30. What if I meet you outside at the curb? OR:
– I think that by the time we factor in half an hour to clear Customs, that maybe I should meet you at the curb at 3:30.
– I think if I am at the curb at 3:30, that would allow you time to pick up your luggage. How does that sound?
A: That would be a good time to meet, but what if I am running late? OR:
– I think that would work out well, but what if the plane is late?
– I will meet you at the curb, but how will you know if the plane is delayed?
B: I can track your plane online. I can just put in the flight number and I can see if you are on time. OR:
– Don’t worry. I can track your flight on my iPhone browser.
– I can call the airline, and they will tell me if the flight is delayed.
A: Can you make sure that you have your cell phone with you so I can call you? OR:
– I am going to carry my cell phone so I can call you.
– I want to be able to call you on my cell phone in a pinch.
B: Yes, that would be good idea. – I’ll make sure to keep my cell phone with me and turned on.
– Yes, that would help us find each other at the airport.
A: If something happens and you can’t make it, just let me know and I’ll book a Super Shuttle. OR:
– If you find that you have to make other plans, I can always book a Super Shuttle to pick me up.
– If it doesn’t work out, just let me know and I can take a Super Shuttle.
B: Don’t worry. I’ll be able to pick you up. OR:
– You won’t need to take a Super Shuttle. Just stay in touch and look for me!
– You don’t have to take a Super Shuttle. I’ll be there.

Going through the customs

A: Could you tell me how to get my bags? OR:
– I have never arrived at this airport before and need to know where to go next.
– Where is the luggage claim area?
B: Just go straight ahead, down the escalator, and there will be signs directing you. OR:
– You can get to Baggage Claim by going down the escalator and following the signs.
– Go to the end of the walkway, down the stairs, and to the right.
A: Where do we clear Customs? OR:
– Do we need to clear Customs before we go get our bags?
– Don’t I have to clear Customs before I go get my bags?
B: You will pick your bags up first. OR:
– After you have picked up your bags, you will be directed to Customs.
– You will clear Customs and Immigration when you have picked up your luggage.
A: Should we have our passports out? OR:
– What do I need to have out when I pass through Customs?
– Do I need to have this Declarations form filled out before I get there?
B: You should have your passport out and your Declarations form totally filled out before you get into line. OR:
– Do not get in the Customs and Immigration line until you have your passport out with your completed Declarations form.
– Make sure that your passport is out and that your Declarations form is complete.
A: My friend here is continuing on to Puerto Rico, and we were wondering if she has to go through Customs. OR:
– My seatmate here is traveling through to Canada, and I told her that she probably doesn’t have to clear Customs.
– My brother won’t be staying in the U.S. but is continuing on to Mexico.
B: Travelers who are continuing on to another country will check in over there and be directed where to go next. Their bags have been checked through. OR:
– Passengers continuing on should check in with the attendant on the left who will direct them to where they can connect with their next flight.
– People who are not entering the United States should go to the left and follow the directions given to them. Their bags are already routed through to their final destination.
A: Are there any restrooms in this area? OR:
– Can we use the restrooms before we clear Customs?
– Is there a restroom we can use in this area?
B: Yes, right over there after you pass through the line. OR:
– Of course, right over there on your left.
– Yes, there is one right over there especially for this area.

Talking to a curbside agent

A: Can you help me figure out where I should go first to check in at this airport? OR:
– I don’t know the departure procedures at this airport and was wondering if you could help me.
– I am flying out today and need to know where I should begin checking in.
B: If you already have your ticket, we can take your bags here at the curbside check-in. OR:
– If you only have a carry-on and already have a ticket, you may proceed directly to the gate to check in.
– If you need to pick up your ticket, you need to go to the ticket counter right inside the door. They will check your bags for you.
A: How do I know what gate to go to? OR:
– I don’t know where my plane is departing from.
– Do you know what gate my plane is leaving from?
B: There are arrivals and departures listed on the screens inside. OR:
– Check on the screens when you go through baggage inspection for your airline.
– There are agents for your airline at the counter in the corner.
A: Is there someplace where I can find out what I can carry in my baggage? OR:
– Where can I find out what I can carry on in my bag?
– I need to know what the restrictions are for carry-on luggage contents.
B: There are signs posted near the baggage check area to help you know what the rules are. OR:
– Check out the list of banned carry-on materials on the signs inside the airport.
– There should be a list of restrictions printed on your ticket.
A: Can my friend go inside with me? OR:
– Can I take my friend along with me to say goodbye?
– I have a lot of time to kill before my flight departs and want my friend to keep me company.
B: Your friend can go with you to the ticket counter but not past the security check. OR:
– For security purposes, only ticketed passengers can go to the gate.
– Only ticketed passengers can go past the security checkpoint.
A: When I return, will this curbside area be a good place to get picked up? OR:
– Is this the area for departures and arrivals or only departures?
– Can my friends pick me up here when I return?
B: This area is only for departures. The bottom level is for arrivals. OR:
– The curbside area is a departure area only. Arrivals are downstairs.
– This is the drop-off area for departures. Arrivals are on the lower level.